This always happens. Decades pass and for some reason we always want to re-do a past decade within the new decade. In the early 2000s, we tried to make the 80s happen again and now, as one would imagine, we’re trying to make the 90s happen.
We used to only bring back classic fashion staples (for example: neon and crop tops… thanks 90s), but now we are trying to recreate classic 90s TV shows and movies all over the place. Like, I know we do this with music because no one is original anymore, but are TV and movies are starting to lose originality as well?
First, it was Boy Meets World coming back as Girl Meets World with some of the same cast members.
Then, we heard the news that Full House is possibly going to come back (thanks Netflix) as Fuller House with DJ and Kimmy starring in their adult forms.
And nowwww, I just saw news that the cliche 90s classic She’s All That is being remade. What? Why? I mean, She’s All That was a great movie, but like so was 10 Things I Hate About You.
And I mean, hiiii if you’re going to remake She’s All That, maybe you should consider remaking these movies too…
1. 10 Things I Hate About You. Instead of a grunge girl band playing on the roof of the school, Calvin Harris would spin mad beats up there. The whole school would get turnt every day. It would be the definition of on fleek.
2. Can’t Hardly Wait. I’m pretty sure this whole film takes place at one party. Just put it a modern day setting and add lots of cameos from future famous people who aren’t famous yet. Cheapest movie ever.
3. American Pie. A modern day American Pie would be interesting. That is, if all modern day teenagers did not lose their virginity at age 13. Sigh.
4. Cruel Intentions. Incest is still real. But seeing lesbians kiss is NBD now, so that wouldn’t excite anyone. We’d need to push boundaries here.
5. Drive Me Crazy.
6. Dazed and Confused. Alright, alright, alRIGHT. This modern day remake would probably involve a lot of molly, a lot of EDM, and a lot of cyber hazing. Or not. Because then everyone would get expelled for hazing, so this remake probably wouldn’t work. Oh well.
7. Varsity Blues. I hear James Van Der Beek is looking for work.
8. Dick. I imagine the remake would be set in the 90s about Monica Lewinsky. Or it would be a modern day documentary on grocery shopping with Michelle Obama.
9. Never Been Kissed. A modern day NBK would involve phrases like “yassss” and “bae” and there would be a letter to the guy about the kiss on Instagram instead of the local newspaper. This movie actually would not even be a movie because bitch could go on Tinder and find a dude stat. Times have changed. Lol.
10. Clueless. Well this is obvious. Why they haven’t remade Clueless, I’m not quite sure. OH WAIT. That’s because Clueless is, like, the best movie ever and they don’t want to ruin it.
As a child of the 90s, I am all for 90s nostalgia, but I can see this spiraling and I don’t think it will be good. It’s not like there was a remake of The Breakfast Club in the early 2000s.
They 90s are in the past for a reason. Let’s let them live in their nostalgic form (aka as listicles on the Internet) and watch the classics on Netflix.
Orrrrrr maybe we’ll see how the She’s All That remake is (lol jk going to the movies is expensive) and be totally into bringing the 90s back. Especially if the movie is titled She’s On Fleek because 2015.
IDK. What do you think guys? Leave your thoughts in the comments.