Relationships are trial-and-error from the start and if you’re like many of us, you have experienced a fair share of error along the way. Some of us find ourselves stuck in these situations for longer than we should, wondering if we would ever be able to trust again or if there were actually genuine people in this world. For those of us lucky enough to have come to our senses, take comfort in knowing that it was not all just a waste of time. Regardless of how long it took you to get over it, when you finally do, even these failed relationships can teach you a thing or in this case, twenty things. Here are 20 lessons from failed relationships:
1. Accept where you are in life and make the most of every day.
2. Listen to your heart and trust your gut feeling. It never lies the way people do.
3. Never ever settle.
4. Only you know what is best for you and it has to be on your time. Don’t let people try and tell you how to feel. You are the only one who has to wake up and look at yourself in the mirror.
5. That someone else will need you to be that person for them. The one who makes them believe there are better things ahead.
6. If it no longer works for you, leave. It is never worth staying in a relationship that makes you miserable and doesn’t help you become a better person.
7. It’s completely okay to breakdown, however you just can’t unpack and live there. You have to pick yourself up and look in a forward direction.
8. You’ll look back on every fight, tear, message (if you saved any) and realize how far you’ve come and how ridiculous they were in the first place.
9. People are what they do, not what they say they’ll do.
10. Never let the actions of others make you cold.
11. The things that show your weak side are also the same ones that will make you stronger.
12. The only time you should ever look back is to see how far you’ve come.
13. Allow yourself to trust again. Do not let a few bad memories keep you from having a happy life.
14. Do not ever feel bad about removing toxic people from your life.
15. Never let someone totally disregard your feelings.
16. Never apologize for your enthusiasm.
17. Expect the bullshit, but never accept it.
18. You should have high standards. Don’t lower them because you have in your mind what you thought your life should be.
19. It is not too much to ask to find the right person.
20. Learn to love again. If you thought you loved the wrong person just imagine what it feels like to love the right person.